Tuesday, March 2, 2010

architecture's influence on museums

Before this class I didn’t really consider the architecture of a building to have influence over my experience in a museum, but upon further reflection I realized that the more I admire the building, the more excited I am to experience the exhibits within the museum. For example, while in Washington, D.C. I visited the National Archives. The outside of the building reminded me of the Greek structures we discussed in class because of the columns and the oftentimes imposing presence of the building. The archives have a set of steps leading up to the museum and there are columns in the front of the building. However, you enter into a tour through a smaller door off to the side of the main steps. I love the architectural design of the building and in my mind it solidified the fact that the documents that I was about to see were incredibly important. The smaller entrance that we went through to go on the tour also added to the overall experience because instead of climbing the steps to enter you are given the feeling of privilege because you are taken in through a smaller, less noticed area of the building.
Architecture also makes me more interested in going into a museum that I wouldn’t normally be interested in. If the structure is eye-catching it draws me in because I then want to explore the inside of the building. I think that the more visually appealing that a museum is, the more I think that I will like the objects that are displayed inside. It also gives you a better idea of what kind of exhibits you will experience because in modern art museums the outside of the building is abstract and different from its surrounding structures while history museums typically have a more classical structure. It gives you the opportunity to have an understanding or inkling of what kind of objects or topics you are going to explore and sets the tone for your experience.

2 comments:

  1. I too feel that the architecture of a museum influences not only how I feel about the building as a whole, but also how I feel about the exhibits inside. Large columns and grand entrances seems to give the building a sort of prestige, that really is not felt anywhere else. I also really enjoy when the building is styled in the same theme as the exhibits; for me, it gives a sort of authenticity to the artifacts. Another thing that you mentioned was the feeling of exclusivity you experienced by entering through the side door. I love that it makes me feel as if I know somebody, so I get the special treatment, and lets be honest, everyone likes special treatment from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think the architecture of a museum can enhance your experience. Like you said that when you went to the archives in D.C. and the large pillars made you feel the importance of what was inside. When I went to the Smithsonian the overall size of the building really set the tone for the rest of my experience there. The environment can be changed according to what your feelings about a museum are.

    ReplyDelete